Monday 24 December 2012

GB-4 THE JOY OF ART

BY KALYANI GANAPATHY,  artist


My story on rediscovering joy, and finding art.

Illustration by Kalyani Ganapathy 

Have you ever wondered why Lewis Caroll woke Alice up from her dream? Or why we ever stopped believing in fairy tales, that happily ever after, that we painted vivid pictures of when we were growing up. What did becoming a teenager have to do with losing sight of happiness in it’s simple form? Today at 28 after a 3 year journey I’ve rediscovered joy! Does that give me the authority to say ‘this is the answer to beautiful art’, probably not. But let’s face it somewhere in this journey of becoming an artist, I thought, ‘I want to inspire’. So that brings me to putting pen to paper today.

Illustration by Kalyani Ganapathy 
 As I stare into the horizon from the gigantic window in my studio, I find myself thinking aloud. Where does my imagination live, have I had it all along? Have I really? 
If you asked me this a few years ago, when I was completely ignorant about what I could do with a paint brush and 3 colours, I would have retorted with a ‘no’. Many life changing experiences later, too many dark mornings later, and after much skepticism 28 year old ‘me’ picked up a paintbrush with the enthusiasm of a 5 year old and guess what, I discovered I could paint.What changed, one simple fact, I was joyous! Joy?
 Why joy, when for hundreds of years artists like Van Gogh sold post-humously because of their tragic love sagas? What’s with me and joy?

Joy gives me a reason to believe, joy means a brighter day, joy means I dream, Joy means I am that I am. It means I express, I love, I care, I love my life, just the way it is, this moment in time, I am present! That ladies and gentlemen, is the power of joy!



Illustration by Kalyani Ganapathy 

Love what you do, do what you love! An hour a day, a day a week, a week a month, a month a year an then all year long. What makes you joyous? Is it candy floss on the beach, the monsoon rain tapping at your window, the red nail polish on your fingers, the hum of your Enfield, the golden Labrador at your feet? Take a deep breath, visualize, feel the joy, and dab a brush in any paint you want and paint the town red. 

Illustration by Kalyani Ganapathy 
Joy is in every moment we live, every cup of tea, every drop of rain and you can choose to see it. The simplest moments make it to my canvas. Some days are tough, and I see those too, and I sulk, and I cry, and I wish life had better things in store.  On that very gloomy day I find that little part of me that sees jeweled fish swimming in green seas, cats that talk, and foxes that fall in love! It’s in that little box called my imagination, and like me only you have the key to unlock yours and travel on a magical journey somewhere far away that puts a smile on your face.




My personal mantra ‘we are all creative, it’s my choice to choose to unfold my creative journey’. You and I both deserve joy, and as long as there is joy, I will be, I will draw and I will smile!






7 comments:

  1. Again a very good post! I always enjoy reading your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. its amazing! :O
    very touching indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THERE IS BEAUTY IN YOUR WORDS AND BEAUTY IN YOUR ART ! INSPIRED AND AWED.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive. I liked te whole idea of the birthday celebrations. gud work

    ReplyDelete